Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Running Princesses

Sorry to be gone for nine months. My bad. Now that I no longer have a wedding to plan, I hope to be a little more consistent.

That's right! I am an old married lady now, for a whole 32 days. Kyle and I have absolutely relished not having to plan a wedding anymore. We have our lives to worry about again! Hooray! Oh, and for the record: we had an awesome wedding. Everything was perfect; we couldn't have asked for a better day. Now we just sit back with our new kitchen gadgets and dinnerware and wait for all of the photos to arrive....

In relishing this long-absent freedom, I have decided to try something a little bit bold and scary: I registered for my first half marathon this week. And not just any half marathon, no! The Disney Princess Half Marathon. Awwww yeeeah. Kyle's parents pleasantly surprised us with a trip to Disneyworld in February, and we decided to go the same weekend as the half marathon. It's something I've thought about doing for a long time, and now it seems the stars have aligned. Plus, when you finish, they give you a tiara. Suffice to say that I am psyched, though a little wary of training for a 13.1 mile event in the coldest months of Michigan's winter. But that's what gyms are for, right? And I may as well put that Y membership to good use.

So get ready, dear reader(s), because I am puttin' on the running shoes and will likely bring you along for the ride. I've already enlisted the help of some friends who have completed marathons/half marathons, and I hope to find a partner in crime to train with me, maybe even remotely. (Kyle's not really into running, and he can't participate in the marathon I signed up for 'cause it's ladies only. But no worries, he's going to make some baller posters to keep me motivated.) I've also been checking out Hal Higdon, an extremely experienced runner, writer, and trainer, and someone who manages to put all of the advice/nutrition/planning out there in very easy to understand terms. It seems that support is the greatest asset someone can have in training for something like this, and I can't think of a better world than the blogosphere to broadcast my journey to. Plus, you guys don't actually have to DO any of the running. Really, it's a win-win.

No comments:

Post a Comment