Monday, August 31, 2009

Fear of Sleep

Days Until Employment Ends: 2
Jobs Applied to Today: 4
Hours of Sleep: 4

I cannot sleep in this house. I'm still transitioning to the new sounds and nuances only old houses contain. Last night I fell asleep at 3; the night before, at 5. Somehow I managed to peel myself out of bed faarrrr too early this morning, have a post-op check up with the dentist (everything's healing nicely, yee haw), and actually get some work done--after a big cup of coffee, of course.

But by one o'clock there was little left to do. I came back to the house and watched old David Attenborough specials on the leopard, crocodile, eagle, and humpback whale. This is the severity of my situation.

The more I come to terms with my summer job ending, the more I'm realizing that I need to go home. I can't wander around for much longer. I'm sick of packing up my whole life every couple of weeks and hauling it in my understated tan Corolla to the next squatting venue. One of the jobs I applied to today is actually at a university back home, and you know, after mailing my resume in (snail mail style--the Midwest is inching toward progressive, but some things they'll never let go of), I found myself bizarrely excited by the idea. Going back home but living in my own apartment, starting my own life there, sounds greatly appealing to me right now. Comfortable in many ways, but new in others.

I have made a pact with myself that I will fall asleep at a normal time tonight. Keep your fingers crossed....

No comments:

Post a Comment