Thursday, September 10, 2009

Salaried with benefits, please

Knock on wood--and seriously, do it if there's some around--the tides are turning. Of course job hunting is a clusterfuck in every stage: scramble to apply to jobs, scramble to interview for them. I have been applying to jobs seriously since April, with a sporadic few sprinkled throughout the winter before, and only in the past three weeks have I gotten interviews. And as soon as I got one, it was suddenly as though some impenetrable job floodgate had been kicked down. Relieved that I would finally be headed home in a matter of days, I am now extending my east coast stay another five days for an in-person interview in DC, which is six hours from where I currently am. As a friend put it, "Your life is a logistical nightmare." Tell me about it. All of my clothes are in boxes en route to my parents' house, my car is stuffed to the brim with things from my storage unit, and the only pair of shoes I have are some flip flops. Whoops.

I know I shouldn't complain. Having interviews is absolutely incredible. I just have to sit back and let the humor of it all kind of marinate in my head, you know? Naturally it would be too simple for interviews to happen while I was just starting my summer job, or even through August. Only as my summer employment was ending did all of these interviews come to light. Timing is nothing if not humorous. And that may be all it is, because otherwise you're gonna look at it and see it as inconvenient, unforgiving, and sometimes unbelievable. My coping mechanism is definitely humor. If I can hold onto it for just a few days longer, it may pay off big time.

No comments:

Post a Comment